On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:54:16 +0100, you wrote:

>Due to 1.5x Aps factor, you must have 0.67x magnification for entire
>slide copy
>I use:
>M42 daptor + M42 bellows + 4/100 Macro-Bellow + Slide-Copier

Just out of curiosity, I set up a home-brew method, pictured here:

http://www.photolin.com/misc/s02.jpg
http://www.photolin.com/misc/s01.jpg
http://www.photolin.com/misc/s03.jpg

It's an *istD with an FA 100/2.8 Macro, a tabletop tripod, a small
inexpensive Tundra battery powered backlit slide sorter, a piece of
glass taped to the Tundra to make a ledge for the slide to sit on,
and, of course, an antique Kodak Tourist camera box (with camera
inside) that the sorter leans on to get to the correct angle.

So far I have not got this setup down pat.  I'm getting poor color,
burnt highlights, slides not square, and a few other things that
perhaps can be worked out.  Here's one of the least-bad ones, shot at
1/50 f3.5, ISO 400:

http://www.photolin.com/misc/s04.jpg

As far as the mechanics of getting the slides into position and
photographed, this setup works just fine.  The photo quality is not
good enough yet, but I think some improvement would come with a little
more experimentation.

I suppose any similar 100mm macro lens, or combination of
lens+tc+extension approximating a 100 macro at about 1/1.5
magnification, plus some sort of backlight arrangement, could be set
up like this and work fine as a slide copier.

Earlier this year, I set up a similar arrangement to copy a bunch of
old prints of various sizes.  I set an empty picture frame on a table,
propped upright at about a 60 degree angle, then placed the pics on
the ledge of the frame one or two at a time, and fired away. The
camera was on a tripod a short distance away, square to the frame.  I
used flash, bounced off a sidewall, to provide even and predictable
lighting, plus a 24-135 zoom so I could fill the frame with every shot
without moving the tripod around.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com