Dave,

For fill flash with Auto mode on a flash, I have found the easiest
approach is to vary the ISO setting on the flash for compensation,
rather than fiddling with the sensor setting as you are suggesting.

So in this case, set the lens to the setting of the flash auto mode
and then change the ISO setting on the flash to get the fill amount
you want.

--
Best regards,
Bruce