----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanya & Russell Mayer"
Subject: Subject: Re: Kodak T400CN

> The only b&w I have ever shot has been c41 films, and
primarily, Kodak
> T400CN.  I really like this film however sometimes the "sepia"
toning that
> it gives can be a leaning a little too much toward the red
side of things.
> (That could just be my crappy lab though).  On the other hand,
stay away
> from the Kodak "Select Series" B&W (also c41 film).  The labs
hate to
> process it and say that they can't get an accurate colour
balance.
> Everytime I have used this film, I get the roll back with some
shots looking
> like true b&w, others sepia, and some even with green and blue
tinges, it
> can be extremely annoying, but I guess you could use it to
your benefit
> creatively as well....

Kodak Select is optimized to print on colour paper, while CN is
optimized for B&W paper. Tanya, you are describing an exposure
slope problem within your photo lab. It sounds to me that they
aren't working very hard at colour balancing their machine.
We get excellent results from both Select and CN. The C-41 B&W
films that give us problems are Konica (not quite enough base
density for the scanner, in actuality this is a machine problem,
not a film problem) and Ilford XP-2 (very soft emulsion, no
colour mask)
William Robb