What happens is that all the aberrations of the lens are doubled along with the focal length, old cheap tele-converters add their own aberrations as well. Zooms tend to have more aberrations so they do not stand up to tele-converters as well as most primes. However most of the 2.8 zooms are very good and can stand up to the tele-converter quite well while cheaper zooms do not. However there is no help for the fact that if your lens is sharp at 16x but not higher magnifications with a 2x it will only do 8x. That is simple physics.

--

Andre Langevin wrote:

To those that have used a 2X tele-extender with a telephoto (200 or 300mm), what do you seem to find to be the compromising element...loss of sharpness, contrast, etc? When I used a 300/4A* with a 2x-AS I was always impressed with its results. But now with another system I'm getting a slightly diffused image with a 70-200/2.8 and 2xEF, more so than I would have expected.

I've heard repeatedly that zoom don't marry well with tele-converters. There may be exception, i.e. when a zoom has a dedicated converter, but has there been a lot of them and are they really working fine?

Andre

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html