----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramesh Kumar"
Subject: RE: Wideangle lens choice

> --- Alan Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The Pentax 15mm is not a particular sharp lens which
> > is crucial for DSLR.
> >
> Thank you, Pentax 15mm goes off my list and reduces
> confusion.

The 15mm may not be paticularly sharp (whatever that means), but you
might want to see how sharp it is compared to the 16-45mm, or the
Stigma thingie.
Wide angle lenses in general are not all that great when compared to
more normal focal lengths.
All things should be compared relatively to other things similar.
Consider also if you will want the lens for 35mm film use. If you do,
then the 16-45 isn't all that grand, since it is unusable for a good
chunk of it's focal range with a film camera, and also doen't have an
aperture ring, which may limit it's usefulness.

>From Stans site, regarding the A 15mm f/3.5:

 " Sharpness and light falloff are terrible wide open but improve
greatly when stopped down by any amount. The lens has a ton of
contrast "
 . . . David A. Mann - . . .

Light fall off with the istD wouldn't be so much of a problem, since
most of the fall off will be outside the sensor anyway.
Most Pentax lenses aren't the greatest wide open.

What may be more of an issue is the cost of the 15mm. It is still
available as a new item, but there is a 6 week wait, and the cost is
some four times that of the 16-45.

The only way to really see if one lens or the other will suit your
needs is to try both under your normal shooting conditions and look
at the pictures they make.

I hope this helps with your confusion.

William Robb