[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Seems out-of-date now to limit the contest to just slide film.
>Or to not have one for DSLRs. All it would need is a decent
> lap top to display the images.

We (the organizers, staff and assistants at the Nature Photography
Weekend) have discussed this and it would take a *lot* more than just a
laptop to display the images.

First of all we'd have to decide on acceptable file formats and sizes.
Do we allow DSLR users to keep the advantage of larger image size? Do we
accept TIFF, JPEG or RAW? What about accommodating the different memory
card types? Then you have the simple issue of time: It takes a second to
hand over an envelope containing three slides. Downloading digital files
of certain sizes takes considerable time.

Then how do we know which image belongs to which person and what
category it is being entered in? With slides you write this on the back
of the mount. It's possible to add this information into the EXIF
section of JPEG files, but not everyone has the equipment or knowhow to
do so.

The biggest hurdle is going to be judging. Doug Brewer and I judged the
contest last year. With slides you put big batches on a large light
table and you can cut out the chaff in no time (under/over exposure, bad
composition - like the
single-rhododendron-blossom-dead-center-in-the-frame that Doug calls the
"bullseye" shot). Hundreds of entries can be reduced to a few dozen
serious contenders very quickly this way. Then we go over groups of
slides with a loupe. You can go back and forth between any two slides
almost instantly and take in groups of slides in a glance. You slowly
narrow things down to a few outstanding shots. The closer you get to the
end of this process, the less the disadvantage becomes, but at the
beginning when you're dealing with hundreds of images it's going to be a
nightmare. Doug and I had to work our tails off to get the judging done
in time for the awards. Digital will be *much* slower.

>You might limit it so no one can post process

How? Allow only RAW files? Some cameras don't output RAW files. For the
ones that do we'd need RAW conversion software and the time to do the
conversions.

>I'll be bringing a 300D.

I'll be bringing a 645... and an ist-D :)

We expect that the Nature Photography Weekend will go digital in 2005
but there's a whole lot of planning and work to be done first. We've had
many discussions via email and we'll have meetings at GFM in June. It's
going to happen there are a lot of decisions, plans and hardware
accommodations to be made first.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing