----- Original Message -----
From: "William Kane"
Subject: EXCITEMENT!! LX dating help . . .

>    I'm missing one of the winder covers.  Anyone have a spare,
or know
> of a source?  (I really want a winder to go on it, but don't
have the
> cash right now)

Good luck. Maybe Peter at Camera Direct? Tape over the hole
until you get a cover with light tight tape. It is possible to
fog the film through those holes.

>   A couple of questions . . . what exactly is the function of
the "thumb
> screw" that is just to the right of the shutter curtain (when
looking
> inside the body from behind)?

If you rotate it anti-clockwise it puts a flag in the corner of
the frame. One of the Data backs (I think the "Dial Data Back",
but I could be wrong) puts information in that corner, and the
flag ensures the information will be visible by blocking
exposure from the front.

>    Does anyone know how I can 'date' this LX?  It's got ASA
from 6-3200
> and has an MX style shutter lock.  Also the release for the
viewfinder
> has a button to turn on the meter.

Pentax LX (info courtesy of the Pentax Discussion list)
xxxxx   1980 [no roller, no meter activation, KX-style shutter
lock]
522xx   pre 1982 [features unknown]
526xx   pre 1982 [features unknown]
5269x   1982 [no roller, meter activation, KX-style shutter
lock]
5274x   1982 [no roller, meter activation, KX-style shutter
lock]
5278x   1982 [no roller, meter activation, hollow-shaped shutter
lock]
5279x   1982 [features unknown]
531xx   xxxx [roller, KX-style shutter lock (?)]
533xx   xxxx [hollow-shaped shutter lock]
5336x   1987 [features unknown]
535xx   1992 [features unknown]

Above from:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cam/serial/

>    Now I just have to write a personal email to "report in"
that another
> LX is being used.

Congratulations. You realize that one LX is rarely
enough........
William Robb