I've had good luck converting color neg, even high speed, to b&w.
The color mixer tool in Photoshop is a good place to start when
performing the conversion; there are plugs and actions available
to assist as well.

The problem you might have will be _printing_ them.  Most inkjet
type printers can't print truely neutral B&W.  I cheat by adding
a cold or warm tint.

Markus Maurer wrote:
Hi Pentax users

I' am playing with the idea of making some black and white enlargements in
the size of 24X36cm of older color photos, sadly most are from fast ISO
200-400 negative color film, so I expect some real visible grain.

What's your experience with conversions from color to black and white and
should I just let the lab do it from the color negatives or photos  or try
scanning the color pictures or negatives (if I still have them) and
manipulate them on the computer. I have the software to do so but really not
much experience with that. What loss of quality do I have to expect?

The computer would be nice because I can preview everything and crop the
image myself, on the other side, my scanning equipment is not that
professional to scan negatives very well.