----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Owens"
Subject: Re: Pentax * ist D doing badly in Fotomagazin test.

> > It's a replacement for a particular skill.
> > All that features do, is allow the photographer to get by with
less
> > developed skills.
> >
> > William Robb
>
> Like depending on a motor drive instead of skill for action photos?

My own experience in this is limited. I have tried using a motor
drive to shoot agility (a dog sport), and failed miserably.
The one and only time I used a drive in continuous shooting for
action, I was able to get some wonderful shots of dogs not quite off
the ground, not quite in the tire, not quite in the jump, etc.
Eight rolls of 36 exposure film, perhaps 3 usable shots, and no good
ones.
This was done by using bursts of 3 to five frames at a time with a
motor drive A on a Program Plus.
Perhaps a faster drive would have helped, but I suspect that I would
have just wasted more film.

OTOH, a friend of mine uses a PZ10 in single shot for the same thing
and, by timing his shutter release carefully, is getting virtually a
100% hit rate.

So yes, like using a motor drive instead of skill.
Skill wins out every time.

William Robb