Do you know Bruce Davidson? He did some pretty spectacular
humanistic/sociological photography in US ghettos using a view camera.
1970s. A quote: (retranslated by me into English from a book with a
Czech translation of his original quote, so excuse the language
inefficiencies please)

"The photographer is seen, he is exposed. He doesn't hide behind the
lens, in order to secretly capture everything around him and get away
unseen. The reality of putting up a tripod, attaching a big camera and
asking the people if I can photograph them means, that there is an
open, honest communication between the photographer and his object,
from eyes to eyes. Photography means colaborating - and a celebration.
And when you have the difficuly prepared photo finished, you see the
moment as a special occassion." He is a Magnum member, BTW. To those
not knowing him, I can only reccommend.

Best regards,
   Frantisek Vlcek