Hi,

> Fascinating thread.

> Unfortunately all discussions of origins fall short of being
> "scientific".  None of them can be stated in such a way as to allow
> for either measurable proof (scientific method) and hence no
> disprovability statement.  They're not quantifiable, repeatable, or
> testable.  Neither special creation nor Sagan's "the universe is all
> there is" principle have any real foundation in testability.

I don't think you understand what 'scientific' means. While it may not
be possible in practice to test some of the theories empirically, they
are _in principle_ falsifiable, and it is certainly possible to show that
they are logically consistent and follow from premises which _are_
testable empirically. Most other origin stories, myths or 'theories' are
not falsifiable even in principle, let alone in practice; this is why
'creation science' is a contradiction in terms.

> Getting something from nothing is as inconceivable to the
> naturalist (who has no place for a creator to intervene) as the
> existence of anything without cause is inconceivable to the special
> creationist (who always looks for purpose).

In fact it was so-called naturalists (whatever you mean by that) who
_did_ conceive of something from nothing, so you are quite wrong
there. And creationists do indeed conceive of something without cause
- God. So you are quite wrong there too.

--
Cheers,
 Bob