> It's funny how things work in SciFi.  Some authors are much better at
> getitng the reader to suspend disbelief and buy into something that is
> totally beyond what we actualy think we understand.

Well, there's Space Opera (as written by E.E. 'Doc' Smith), which introduces
new concepts with wild abandon just to get to the next cliffhanger ending,
and then there's the hard science school of Science Fiction (as exemplified
by Asimov or Niven) who will take a single 'suspension of disbelief' idea
and run with it, extrapolating a whole new setting based on just that one
concept (plus, often, FTL travel via hyperspace - just taken for granted).

If the author has thought through the idea, and come up with reasonable
explanations (or even further plot developments) based on the most common
objections that a knowledgeable reader might raise, it's going to be a
great deal easier to buy into that author's version of the way things work.