Hello Steve,

I have a 3016  - 3 section and a 680B - 4 section.  The 4 section has
thicker legs and seems to be very slightly more rigid.  That is the
one that I usually use.  As for heads, I use the 3229 with quick
release - It is small, light, inexpensive and gets the job done.
Generally for most movements (other than vertical) I just move the pod
a bit.  So only when shooting vertical do I have to adjust the head.
Works great for me.

HTH,

Bruce