On May 16, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

OK, I can see that, but then, since all that memory is loaded, shouldn't
that cover making a number of adjustments? Loading the 40mb file uses
640mb of memory, but after a few adjustment layers and some healing brush
activity, I'm over 1gb of used memory, and several times I've gone over
1.4gb of ram memory, and into scratch disk territory. That extra 500mb+ of
memory doesn't seem to be doing anything useful.

Wow, that sounds pretty crazy.

From a fresh start, Photoshop CS on my machine takes 170Mb with a 50Mb file open before any editing. After all my editing last night (with extensive use of the healing brush and several filters) it was using about 400Mb.

I have noticed that once Photoshop has allocated some memory, it never seems to release it again after the file is closed. Because of this I quit and restart PS once in a while, as I don't often restart my Mac (I use the "sleep" mode).

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/