Another newbie here. :^)

Thanks for the heads up concerning the aurora. I spotted it towards
the end of twilight. It had been hazy-clear with high cirrus all day
here in downeast Maine, so I originally thought I was looking at more
clouds! I soon realised that clouds don't move like that, and dashed
back in for my equipment.

I must confess that my usual astro camera is a Miranda Auto Sensorex
EE, and I shot off the best part of a roll of Fuji Superia 400 with
it before switching to my MX with my Vivitar 17-28 zoom (same film).

At this point I ran into a problem. I acquired the MX on ebay in
January and I have had that zoom for about a year and a half. Both
pieces of equipment had been fine up to this point, but I had never
used them together. In a nut shell, when I depressed the shutter
release nothing would happen. After some tinkering about in the dark
I discovered that if I pressed the depth of field preview lever the
mirror would lock up; then, if I pressed the shutter release the
shutter would fire. As I was missing a lot of good shots by fiddling
around I finally switched to another lens, and the MX worked fine.

Any thoughts?

The aurora started to fade away after about an hour. At one point,
though, it extended down into Corvus...which if you know your
constellations you will know is pretty far south!
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]