Many years ago, when I earned my living as a magazine writer and
photographer, my 35mm arsenal consisted of a Fuji 801 screw mount body,
a Vivitar 200/3.5, a Vivitar 20/3.5, a Mamiya 135/2.8, and a Fuji
50/1.4. I supplemented that with a Mamiya TLR with the early uncoated
80/2.8, and a Speed Graphic with a Wollensak 127/4.5. (I purchased the
Speed Graphic for $100 from a guy who owned a junkyard). For lighting, I
had a couple of Honeywell potato masher strobes with those big 500 volt
batteries, and some reflectors. I shot numerous magazine covers, lots of
centerspreads and hundreds of feature articles. I would never have
bought any expensive equipment, because it would have tilted my whole
investment/income picture. Eventually, I went to work for Hearst
Magazines full time, and while they wouldn't buy me a lot of new
equipment, they did pay for CLAs on all my old junk. They also flipped
for a few extras, like a polaroid back for the Speed Graphic and a good
incident/flash meter. Some of my contemporaries had boxes full of Nikon
equipment, but they didn't have four kids to feed.
    That's all way in the past, and these days I rarely do any
photography for pay, but I now own a couple of dozen very nice lenses
and several fairly expensive camera. (Since I no longer work as a
photographer, I can afford them. Incongruous? Yes. But true.) In other
words, you're right. The amateur mindset is different. It's not a
question of bad or good, just different.