Interesting. I had considered doing the same thing to my SMC 400/5.6. I
purchased an A-2XL and then discovered that the snout was too wide to
fit inside the rear baffles. But like the 200/2.8, the rear element was
far enough forward. I eventually chickened out, however, and bought the
A-2XS (from you Rob, if I recall). In any case, I'd be interested in
your comparison of the two converters.
Paul