----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Studdert"
Subject: Re: Darkroom or Digital for beginners

> On 30 May 2004 at 12:01, William Robb wrote:
>
> > Or, I have worked with the alternatives long enough to know what
is
> > easy, and what isn't.
>
> Har, the large majority of us don't all have a calibrated mini-lab
with an
> operator we can trust at our disposal.

Lets make sure the playing field is level.
You wanna play digital darkroom, then you add a quality inkjet
printer to your computer, calibrate the entire mess so that you have
WYSIWYG results, and go play.

Wanna do film photography in colour?
Renovate a room in the basement, add an enlarger and a processor, and
plumbing.
Processing needs to be within a half degree, and you had better know
some colour and chemical theory if you want repeatable results.
Don't like what you get out of the processor? Toss that print in the
garbage and try again.
and again.
and again.

Even with the calibrated minilab to print on, I think digital is
easier.
I suppose some of this is because I am the one calibrating the
minilab.

William Robb