On 14 Apr 2001, at 17:07, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

> Last week I looked at some shots made with Leica lenses.
> They had the "donuts" typical of the older Nikon designs,
> but were taken with a Leica.
>
> Second, it shows that Pentax, in older and newer designs,
> lacks nothing up against the competition.  It's a matter
> of opinion on the good lenses.  We've nothing to be
> embarassed about.

Hi Collin,

I admit to having all but little experience shooting with the Leica R lens range
however as you imagine I have a fair idea of the capabilities of Pentax glass
across the range and also Leica M new and old. I haven't read the article to
which you refer but I find your distillation of it confusing given my personal
experience. I have found most Leica lenses (particularly the new designs) to
be quite sharp across the plane of focus even wide open and most also have
very pleasing Bokeh characteristics, some of the older R glass were actually
Minolta designs, maybe this is where the confusion lies? I do agree though
that the Pentax glass holds up on its own, where it doesn't win in the
absolute sharpness stakes it usually wins WRT flare.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110