Collin,

Pentax have been out of the game for at least a decade, maybe longer. They are just a niche player now - 100k units sounds pretty respectable to me.

Antonio

On 7 Jun 2004, at 14:29, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

What I asked for was a business solution.
Nikon is doing this.
Canon & Pentax aren't -- yet.
Right now Canon is marketing-driven, giving away bodies & lenses just to own the digital marketplace. They're succeeding.

The market sales curve is steep right now -- sales are booming.
Industry prediction for 2005 is roughly 4 million DSLRs. If Pentax sells 100k, that petty. They need to sell 500k just to remain a viable player, and that means agressive marketing and ramped-up R&D & production. And that requires spending money.

Selling 100K units is just not enough to sustain growth in a boom. Pentax needs to either (a) come out with both quality amateur pro digital equipment, and quickly, or (b) give up.

Collin (sorry to be so pessimistic but it's Monday and I've not been in the darkroom for over a month) Brendemuehl

Does Canada really want Red Green representing it?

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the WebMail system at mail.safe-t.net