I'd expect that the 70-200IS is one of Canon's best lenses.  That focal
length range is very heavily used by many sorts of pros, and Nikon and
Canon have been knocking themselves out to make a great 70-200 in order
to win sales from pros.  Pentax has made fewer versions of a 70-200/2.8
kind of lens, and has probably committed fewer resources to it.
This is probably true of the 16-35 and the 300/2.8 as well, as these three
lenses are the standard trio for many kinds of pro shooters.  Canon and
Nikon have made several versions since the AF era started.

OTOH, from what I understand from former Nikon users who switched to
Canon, some of the wides and mid-teles are not as impressive.  I think
a number of these are older optical designs and focal lengths less favored
by pros.  Pentax might well be quite competitive outside the "pro
standards" focal lengths.  Certainly Pentax has made more small, good
lenses than Nikon or Canon who normally opt for cheap and nasty or very
good with resulting increases in size and price.

And at 200mm, I wouldn't discount the A* 200/2.8, which I found to be
substantially better than the legendary 180/2.8 ED Nikkor.  Team it up
with an A* 85/1.4 and one of the good 135s and you've got Pentax glass
at least as good as the 70-200, and faster, if a bit more cumbersome and
expensive.

DJE