Excellent call, Ryan!
Now William can sleep more soundly...and Chris has a proper answer to his question. <g>

keith

Ryan Lee wrote:

Hi Chris,

Your post piqued my curiosity, and being obsessive, I embarked on a bit of a
tedious quest to match tv's photo:
http://www.bigdayphoto.com/reagan/040609-173122-6008.htm

with some regiment somewhere. I narrowed it down to the Grenadier, Welsh,
Irish, Scots and Coldstream Guards. Interestingly, they're differentiated by
button spacings on the tunics:
http://www.irishguards.net/IG2.htm

However, that was a bit of a dead end, then I found out Canadian Grenadiers
wear it too (after all, the hats come from their bears..). But alas, the
uniform did not match.

Then I chanced upon an Encarta definition which mentioned drum majors too.
Kept checking and definitive success:
http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/abt_band_uni_drum.html

Cheers,
Ryan

PS. Hilarious fact: Regarding the difficulties encountered while searching
for a synthetic alternative to bearskin, "They were also subject to static
electricity, which was rather embarrassing when they passed under
(electricity) pylons."
http://www.news-star.com/stories/081497/world2.html

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Stoddart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>