I've only developed B&W film myself, so I don't know how similar the rules
are with C-41 process.  But in black and white the agitation affects
contrast.  Possibly your sharpness issue is actually a contrast one.  I also
know that temperatures being off and over/under exposure to the chemicals
can affect contrast.  I had  a big problem with blowing out the highlights
that I first thought was over exposure in the camera, but turned out to be
over exposure in the negative development tank.  I learned to look at the
shadow detail in the negatives to tell the difference.  Not always but
generally if you can see some slight shadow detail in the negative the
camera exposed it correctly.  If the shadows were ok and the highlights were
totally black with no detail, it usually meant I goofed in the development.
I've had fairly good luck with most minilabs for just developing the
negatives only though as I too scan everything at this point.  The only
place I consistently have problems with negatives is at Walmart.  I get a
lot of spots on them as well as scratches.  That was not a dig at a certain
list member either, honest that's just my experience.  It's only about $.75
more to get them done elsewhere though so I'm not too worried.

Regarding a comment made about film scans not printing as well as original
digital images, that problem ended for me with my grain surgery plug-in for
Photoshop.  I can now get the detail from the film with noiseless digital.
I can only compare this with my 4MP digital presently though, so not
necessarily a fair general statement I suppose.  I had Walmart scan a couple
of roles for me and got the cd, but was totally unhappy with that.  It was
way too low of resolution and the scans were very poor quality as compared
to my Dual Scan III, which is not really a high res scanner and has a budget
price to boot.  One of these days I need to try taking my digital files in
to be printed and see how that works out.  Thus far I'm only printing at
home in my inkjets.

Dave