For negative film, within limits, exposure determines shadow density, and development determines highlight density. That is increasing exposure makes the lightest negative image denser, and increasing development makes the darkest negative image denser. Thus blown highlights (in the print) are caused by overdeveloping the negative.

For transparency film or digital images the effect is reversed.

--

Henri Toivonen wrote:

David Miers wrote:

I had a big problem with blowing out the highlights
that I first thought was over exposure in the camera, but turned out to be
over exposure in the negative development tank. I learned to look at the
shadow detail in the negatives to tell the difference. Not always but
generally if you can see some slight shadow detail in the negative the
camera exposed it correctly. If the shadows were ok and the highlights were
totally black with no detail, it usually meant I goofed in the development.

I'm a beginner in developing my own film, and this sometimes happens to me.
Quick question, should I develop it longer or shorter when this happens?

/Henri

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html