I just bought a Nikon Coolscan V, and have used several Nikon Coolscans
over the past couple of years.  I'm content with my choice, although I
would have preferred a Coolscan 5000 because it works in 16 bit rather than
14 bit mode, has a somewhat higher D-max, and is capable of doing multi
scans.  But, I have access to a couple of Imacons, so, if the highest
quality is needed, I can use those.

Since you mentioned Velvia, I'd suggest the Coolscan 5000 as its feature
set may be helpful with the unique properties of velvia (from what I
understand).  I'd also suggest you read a lot of scanning tutorials, look
for appropriate color profiles, and think about the usefulness of other
scanning software, such as Vuescan or Silverfast.

If you've got the $$, grab an Imacon 646 (
http://www.imacon.dk/sw3275.asp). You won't look back.  If I could have
afforded it, I'd have bought one in a heart beat.

Consider the Epson 2200 printer, or, if you've got the space and the $$,
the new 4000.

Shel Belinkoff