----- Original Message -----
From: "Frantisek Vlcek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Trolls & how-to

(snip)

> 2) complain to his ISP. You can use WHOIS to find out all sort of
> things about him. By this form of abuse, he is certainly breaching
> both his ISP and mailservice useragreements, by abusive behaviour on
> the net. He could get his account suspended for this.

(snip)

Frantisek,

Having been down that road myself, I can report that it's a flawed concept.
Why?  Because to the abuser's ISP the victim (you or I) is an outsider with
whom they have no profitable arrangement.  OTOH the abuser, their client, is
a source of income whom they have no desire to cast off, regardless of
ethics.

As well, exchanges on a forum, even if it is an email list rather than web
based, are considered by them to be outlaw territory and they are reluctant
to police their own terms of service (TOS) for breaches on a forum.  Private
exchanges are a different matter, but it is still difficult to persuade an
ISP to TOS its own client.

regards,
Anthony Farr