> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:10:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Cliff Nietvelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: OT: Launch of my New Website
>
> Yes I have considered it.
>
> I have steered away from 600's in general because they
> are heavy and big, and can not be used with a Wimberly
> side-kick. You can with a 500mm though. Though i am
> very fit and a built guy, I get tired just thinking
> hauling a 600mm f4 in the Rockies or Tetons.
>
> My leaning right now is for the Canon EF 400mm F4 DO.
> If Pentax made a 400mm f4 I would be on it like a
> cheap suit.
>
> Trust me I have thought of almost every camera brand &
> lens combos combo, priced them out, etc., etc.

Is a stop or half a stop that important?  Pentax made a fine
500/4.5 MF, and I think still makes a 400/5.6 AF.
Both Nikon and Pentax made 600/5.6s, which would be lighter than
the 600/4s, but you are probably looking for an AF lens.

If Pentax made a 400/4 it would probably be pretty big.
I've thought at times that I'd love to see a 400/4.0 from Nikon
but considering the size and cost of the 400/3.5 from Nikon
I'm not sure it'd gain me much.  Contax does make a 400/4 USM
IIRC.

DJE