On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:31:36 -0400, Frank Theriault wrote:

>Anyone here know anything about the veracity of this?  If true, does
>anyone know the name or names under which this camera is being marketed?

Yes, it's true. It seems when Pentax stopped production of the K1000, they sold the
rights, dies, molds, and
specs to the Chinese company that built the last Pentax ones. (I once knew the company
name but can't for
the life of me remember it now)

The ones that are marketed now are named, Mingca Kc1000. They are, for all intents and
purposes, the
exact same as the Pentax K1000 except that the "new" ones have a self-timer and they
replaced the
needle meter with a 3 LED setup. Oh, and they are also black rather than chrome.

I own one of these Mingca's and simply love it. Given the ridiculous high price of
used K1000's, they make
a viable replacement. If you look around on eBay, you can see them pop up from time to
time normally only
bringing $75-100 for the body.

Later,
Gary