From: "O'Neill, William" <William.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 7:57 PM
Subject: RE: to PZ1-P experts. About TTL Flash

> Alex,
>
> Question:
> 1. Is the TTL flash metering region the same as the light metering? Let me
explain: if I set the exposure metering to multi-segment, will the TTL flash
use the same metering mode to decide the flash exposure or will it use only
spot, or something else?

> Answer:
> It is not the same.  It uses an OTF sensor that provides a centre-weighted
reading.  This reading is not the same as the centre-weighted reading for
normal exposure either.

> Question:
> 2. If I set PF-7 to program the IF button to set the exposure to the
background, which metering mode will it use? Let me explain again: I set the
metering exposure to spot and I pop up the flash but I would like to have
the proper exposure for background. So, as I set PF-7 to do that, I press IF
button. What happens? Does it shift to multi-segment to have the proper
exposure for background or does it use the spot metering I choose for
correction without change the flash configuration???? or something else????

> Answer:
> This is just my hypothesis and you will have to check it out...Since the
flash exposure is calculated real-time using a different sensor, it cannot
be used to determine the ambient background exposure.  Likewise, the
multi-segment (ambient) meter cannot measure background lighting if it is in
spot mode, so for things to be consistent the multi-segment meter will have
to switch into multi-segment mode to determine the background exposure when
you press the IF button.  However, check it out.

> Question:
> 3. I am using fill flash. So, I set the exposure for background and I
would like to program de flash to fill a subject that is not in the centre
spot. How can I do that without change the exposure for the background????
Is it possible with the camera metering only?

> Answer:
> Since the ambient and flash exposure are handled in the PZ1-p by two
completely separate systems.  In this particular case, if I were using slide
film I would set the ambient exposure compensation to -0.5 and the flash
exposure compensation to about -1 and bracket a bit on the flash
compensation.  For print film I would not bother to bracket as a little over
exposure will do not harm.