K C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał / wrote:

> Thanks for all the great feedback on
> Telezooms and picks.  In reading some of the comments,
> it sounded like these lenses tend to be soft in the
> far range, e.g. 240 to 300 on a 70/80-300.  I'm
> assuming this is some artifact of lens design, and
> was wondering (here's the Dumb Question part),
> if a 70-300 is sharp through 240mm or so, and
> a 70-210 is sharp through 150mm or so, wouldn't
> a 70-300 still be a better choice, or at least
> better alternative to its shorter range peer?

Heh:) I used to think the same:) Well, as for the consumer grade zooms, that they lose
sharpness at a long end is a general rule, but no lens model behaves in the same way.
Comparing Tamrons - 70-210 and 70-300 - I find the latter to be VERY (for me
unacceptably) soft from about 250mm, while the former is acceptably sharp (for this
class of lenses, of course) through almost whole focal length. Besides, it focuses
faster and tends to hunt much less. And IMO there's no real need to have a zoom with
focal length reaching 300 mm. You still won't be able to shoot the Moon and that
additional 100mm (above 200mm of course:)) adds too much weight, hunting problems etc.
Instead of this I'd rather get some 500mm prime and perhaps a TC.

> Also, is the Pentax 80-200 folks mentioned the one
> that is 2.8 constant? or the SMC-F 80-200 4,7-5,6?
> How well do these perform in the far range?

I mentioned the latter. It is IMHO very sharp for it's class. While I can stand the
quality of mi pics made with the Tamron 70-210 (unlike my pics made with that Tamron
70-
300, which I cannot), the quality (sharpness, saturation, bokeh) of the pics made with
SMC F 80-200 4,7-5,6 is uncomparably far superior to them. Of course, if your budget
allows you to buy that 80-200 f/2,8 - don't even think twice! Go and get it!
Greetz
Artur

"Our time has come, get ready to fight.
 Sisters and brothers, in metal unite.
 The dreams that you had are about to come true.
 The voice of the Warrior is calling for you!"
Hammerfall "The Way of the Warrior"