AC> the same when the lenses are extended to closest focus. But geez, I must be
AC> stupid to think that way, I know.

Oh, Alan, don't get so worked up ;-)

Isn't this all just fun? Personally, I have more lively issues than
determining if the Nikon and Tamron lenses are the same or not, or how
much do they differ, practically or otherwise. I mean, I am not losing
my job over these, is it? Initially, this just reminded me of
buyer-justification which is so common on other lists. This list is a
relaxation for me. For God's sake, all the Pentax lenses could be made
by chinese Seagull for what I care. I would still use them if they
were good. I am certainly not questioning your erudicity, it would be
dumb to think something about one's knowledge just from a mailinglist.
So why are you so worked up when you replied to my post? I posted my
opinion of the matter, and you get quite hot. A wrong day or what?
   :-)

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek