Gianfranco queried:

"How's the handling? On the shelf it looked quite big mounted on
the *ist D. I read on the KMP (thanks Boz!) that it weighs
almost the same as the 24-90, but it is a bit longer."

It handles fine. The zoom ring is quite large and easy. The focus ring seems fine to me. I don't have the FA 24-90 here, but my recollection is that the 24-90 may be smaller than the 16-45 at shortest length. I am not sure how they compare extended. They both have the extending barrel design, except that the 16-45 is shortest at its long end. The 16-45, anyway, is not a compact lens. I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that it is a constant f4.0.

Joe