Pål Jensen wrote:

All optical design are about compromises. Particularly very small lenses. The 43 Limited was >designed in the old fashioned way without computer (well, mostly) in order to get that pre >computer look from the images the lens produce. This explains the high distortion.

I may be ignorant regarding this, but this "pre-computer" lens design does not make sense to me. I can't imagine any lens is *designed* by a computer. There may be computer software that helps engineers examine various aspects of lens design and play what-if scenarios, but ultimately it's the human brain that has designed the lens. It's the human brain that wrote the software behind any engineering tool. Especially, in the end, it's the human brain that chooses the final design that goes into production.

So how images from a particular lens can have a "pre-computer" look versus an 'absence of computer look' is simply beyond me. An how that can be blanketly stated, considering all the variables that will go into producing an image, is even more beyond me.

Tom C.