Tom wrote:

> So how images from a particular lens can have a "pre-computer" look versus
> an 'absence of computer look' is simply beyond me.  An how that can be
> blanketly stated, considering all the variables that will go into producing
> an image, is even more beyond me.

Computers are used in order to eliminate various aberations in optical design among
other things. Unfortunately, aberrations are giving lenses certain desireable (for
some that is) characteristics. Some of these characteristics are related to bokeh
(thats why some of the best corrected lenses, macro lenses, often show nasty bokeh
characteristics).
In the good old days the look produced from various lenses were very much in the hands
of the lens designer (not the computer), in many ways a kind of art. With the 43
Limited Mr. Harakara (Pentax chief lens designer; the one who design all(?) the
classic * lenses) and a famous japanese photographer (who's name I've forgotten but he
was 77 years old when the 77 Limited was presented as a gift to him), set out to try
to reproduce the pleasant image quality characteristics produced by pre-computer
designed lenses (the good ones I assume); particularly the three dimensional feel of
the images. In order to achieve this, they "turned off" the computer. Fine tuned
various aberations and judged the results from the images themselves produced by the
lens; not curves produced by test equipment. Hence the 43 Limited, and also the 77
Limited (to some extent at least), are designed very differently from "normal" lenses.
Incidentally, the 31 Limited is not designed by Harakawa and is perhaps a more
"traditional" lens.

Pål