From: Douglas E Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 12:14 PM
Subject: ZX7 Tracking Auto Focus-new perceptions.....

: Good morning,
:     After the discussions on ZX5n vs PZ1, I decided to take my ZX7 out
front
: and track some trafic passing by.... Before you think that you can't get
: virtual cornering speed of a race on the street, I live on Bird Road
(posted
: speed 40, average speed is 55-60).
:
: Anyways, I tried out the Tamron 70-300 macro that I have on loan (my
80-320
: is still being fixed). This is the new lens that has the macro focus
lockout
: from 180-300, 1:2 @ 300 @ 3'/1:3.9@ 180 @ 4.9' and larger 62mm filter
size.
: I tried the "action" mode in single fire and continuous fire. Works better
: in single fire, but not great. I assume this is because it is figuring out
: the best Shutter and Aperture as well as Best DOF for the focal length. A
: lag, but not bad and I can get the object in focus that I want by
: redepressing the shutter release to recompose. It keeps the Shutter and
: Apreture on the recompose. I assume this lens has the full FA program, as
: this is the lag that is present in the 80-320. In continuous it is worse,
it
: kind of freaks doing the above calculations and tring to keep up with the
: 2fps. By the time it has figured this out the object in focus is not the
one
: you would like. I won't use this mode for fast action, maybe for baby
ducks.
: I tried next in Av and Tv in both single and continuous fire. Much better
by
: far than the "action" program. In single fire there is more hesitation in
: the AF on the recompose than the continuous fire. Actually, in Tv or Av on
: continuous you can compose and recompose rather quickly. It must throw out
: the DOF calculation in continuous and give the best all around Aperture
for
: the given Shutter speed.  I assume this of course, there could be another
: reason for this.
: In regards to this lens, the lenses macro mode changes the whole
personality
: of this lens. I set the lens to 200 mm locked in the extra focus of the
: macro feature and took some shots. While tracking the cars I would compose
: and recompose as they passed me by I had focus on the passenger window
full
: frame. It would not track and focus this close in normal focus mode even
: thou it was well above the minimum of 4.9'.  It worked rather well
tracking
: from 200 feet to about 14 feet in macro, but would loose it at 30-25 feet
in
: normal focus and recompose a couple of extra times. I have no assumption
as
: to why this would be. What might I be missing? I guess I will have to find
: brick wall and run a roll of film thru to see if this lens is any better
: than the last 70-300mm from them.
:
: l8r,
: Douglas E Harmon