Bob,

The German Pentax pages include PDF descriptions that list compatibility
between lenses and teleconverters.  The FA*300/4.5 page is:
  http://www.foto.pentax.de/produkte/pdf/pentax0000024400.pdf

and it does list the 2X-S teleconverter and FA*300/4.5 as being compatible.
The 2X-L is not listed.  It extends into the barrel of the lens, and I'm
pretty sure that it will not fit on an FA* 300/4.5.  Seems like someone else
posted a message that stated that the FA* 300/4.5 does not work well in
general with teleconverters....

--Mark

Hi all:

I have the Pentax 2X-S teleconverter, which frankly doesn't produce very
sharp images with my FA*300/4.5, not even locked down into the tripod with
careful technique. (I get better slides with my son's Canon 300/4.0 with a
Canon 2X. Sorry.)

Anyone know whether the 2X-L would be any better?

Also, any thoughts on the 1.4X-L?

Thanks,

Bob Keefer