Interesting, Bob. Did you write this off the top of your head, or just do some quick research? You always seem to come up with details of things I just vaguely remember from decades ago. I think I looked Basic up in an encyclopedia when I was a kid after coming across it in several SF books I had read. The SF'ers liked Esperanto, another artificial language, too.

Anyway, almost anything would be better than teaching them non-standard abbreviations like "sthg" for "something", at least to put in the apostrophe "s'thg", so one would know letters had been left out. Interestingly, upon doing a spell check on this message "sthg" came up as incorrect, "s'thg" came up "no-suggestions". In other words the spell checker ID'ed "s'thg" as an abbreviation.

--

Bob W wrote:
Hi,

Why not just teach them Basic (sometime called Basic English)? 850
English words that you can do 90% of your needed communication with
and be understood by any English speaker.  Learn the whole damn thing
in a week. Been around since the 30's. Too damn simple, I guess. Back
in the 50's it was the lingua franca of science fiction fame.

The Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary gives
information on the frequency of use of words. It divides them into 3
frequency bands, and includes an appendix of the 650 in the 'most frequent'
band. I'm not sure what percentage of discourses this might cover, but
it's certainly advertised as a quick and efficient way for foreign students
to build their vocabulary.

I'm not sure how Ogden derived his list of words (wishful thinking, I
suspect), but not surprisingly it differs from Cobuild. The Cobuild
list is derived from the so-called Bank of English, which is a large
concordance of actual current use. No doubt it's more accurate for the
present day than Ogden's list.

Ogden: a able about account acid across act addition adjustment...
Cobuild: a able about accept accord according to account across...

A problem with Ogden's approach is that he expects people, including
native speakers, to learn an artificial language. These sort of
attempts are doomed to fail because there's no reason why a native
speaker should adopt the artificial language, and foreign learners
want to speak the same language as the natives, so they have no
incentive to learn something like Basic English.

Another problem is that the word list would need to be changed
frequently to reflect current use, or would have to be frozen, further
increasing the artificiality.

That's not to say that controlled languages, such as airline English,
are not useful, valuable and well worth the effort.

http://www.diac.com/~entente/basicpg.html#wurdz
http://www.simplifiedenglish-aecma.org/Simplified_English.htm
http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/attempto/description/index.html

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html