Hi,

Thursday, July 22, 2004, 12:14:13 AM, graywolf wrote:

> Interesting, Bob. Did you write this off the top of your head, or just do some
> quick research? You always seem to come up with details of things I just vaguely
> remember from decades ago. I think I looked Basic up in an encyclopedia when I
> was a kid after coming across it in several SF books I had read. The SF'ers
> liked Esperanto, another artificial language, too.

Before I was involved with computers, my background was in languages
and linguistics. I'm also qualified to teach English as a foreign language.

I've been interested in controlled English for writing specifications
for several years. The Cobuild dictionary has a very good, clear style
for writing definitions - much clearer than most conventional
dictionaries. It's a help to me because I've had complaints from
programmers that I use too many long words which they don't
understand. Something like Cobuild helps me to find the simpler
equivalents or write a good definition. I found that people were not
reading documentation that I wrote, which is worse than not writing it
at all.

I have a very large vocabulary and it's easy to forget that many other
people do not. So I try to simplify the language I use in the specs,
and write for the audience.

However, I also have qualifications in discrete maths and Z, which very few
of the programmers I spec for understand. So I try to find a middle
ground between the 'Victorian novel' approach, and a couple of pages
full of squiggles. Using an informal controlled English approach helps
me do this.

--
Cheers,
 Bob