Responding to myself now... and I know someone will come in through the back door and beat me over the head with "and how many of those photos do you want hanging on your wall?".

If AF is so bad... why are 99% of the cameras sold today AF? Why are there so many abominable in focus snapshots (and there's nothing wrong with snapshots if that's what one wants)? The fact is AF works and works reasonably well. It may not be the way some here shoot... but it doesn't mean it doesn't work. As before, I'm not immune to making a focus error. If I were my name would Jesus.

Tom C.

From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Film vs Digita, was: lRe: Pentax is Dying?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:31:59 -0600

I do think this format size vs composition argument is a placebo effect of
sorts, you can take the same time and care formatting a 110 film shot as a
10x8. I suspect it just boils down to what respect you have for the media which
I guess is a function of cost per frame vs perceived enlargement potential
basically. Quite bizzare really.

Rob Studdert

Bizarre yes... To me, if I'm going to spend a significant amount on a camera system... specifically to reap the benefits of a larger format... with each shot costing commensurately more... I suspect I will change the way I shoot. Not that I don't usually take the time to survey my surroundings, carefully compose, expose and the rest. I choose to use AF and sometimes AE because of the convenience... in a way that can tend to hasten one through the process. It is the deliberate forced lack of these that I think (hope) will push me into an even more disciplined approach.

Tom C.