What about AOV? The main reason I love my 85mm for portaits is the AOV it
provides. Shure I could stand a bit further back with a 135mm, and even get
the same DOF by using a slightly larger f stop, but the AOV would still be
different. If lens choice were merely a matter of where to you want to stand
relative to your subject then we could all save a lot of money on lenses.
Long lenses flatten perspective, wide lenses open it up.

Antonio