J. C. O'Connell:

I think the question was 50 or 100mm. Go go the 100 if you can afford it
the working distance for the same results makes all the difference in
the world... Vic

It will not give the same results as the 50mm, it is a 100mm after all now isnt it? Once you get near 1:1 the 100mm has same AOV of a 200mm at infinity which is very narrow to say the least compared to a "normal" lens. Bottom line is they are very different lenses so the 100mm is not better than a 50mm, just different.

Ok, the reason I asked was to learn more before I eventually buy one of the two new Pentax lenses. I still really haven't fathomed what the practical difference would be between the two.

If you look at some macro shots I've done with a regular 50 mm lens and a bellows, could you say in which way these pictures would be different if I had used either of the two new lenses instead?

  http://anders.hultman.nu/album/al/makro

This is flowers, berries, insects and ticks at approx 1:1 magnification, and a distance from front lens to subject of about 75 mm. The first six pictures are taken last year with an ME, the last eight are taken with the *istD.

anders
http://anders.hultman.nu/
med dagens bild och allt!