These have been Pentax's standard instructions ever since the SF1/SFX flash that had the infrared focusing beam built in -- if you want to use it for focusing but not for flash, push the flash back down after focusing but while still pressing the shutter release halfway.

A better method is via Pentax's newer flashes -- the AF330FTZ, AF500FTZ, and I assume the 360 as well -- where there's a setting just for focus assist via the infrared beam that doesn't enable the flash itself. But of course, that's not built into the body of the camera ...

Joe

I never tried to switch the RTF off after using it as a focussing aid. But there is no function as far as I know to switch it off, so it is probably correct.
I have used my Metz 40MZ-2, and the IR LED on that flash also works as an AF assist beam with the *ist D.

I guess it is not much of a problem to push the RTF back after focussing before you make the exposure? But you need to keep the shutter half down way during that.

--
Frits Wüthrich