I love my 6x7, but medium format isn't a very good option for stock. You still have to process film and scan. The best bet is digital. You shoot RAW, process your files and upload them to the stock house server.
Paul
On Aug 21, 2004, at 2:54 PM, Robert Woerner wrote:

How about 6x4.5 or 6x7 chromes?

You know, join "The Brotherhood". I'm going to as soon as I finish nursing
school next May.

Robert
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ann Sanfedele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 11:40 AM
Subject: sad stuff about stock photography and up-to-date technology

Well...

after a long talk with my stock agency gal on the
phone a couple of days ago I've
found out a lot about what I can't do when
submitting stuff - so thought I'd share.

Bottom line, unless I spent thousands of dollars
to upgrade my equipment, the
digital stuff I could produce to show them is
useless.

The stock company will accept my slides, as they
always have done, but they
then scan them and send them out.

The Epson 1640SUP doesn't scan slides and negs
well enough to make
files that are up to spec for industry standards.
And even if I shoot digital
and get something done professionally because I
think the stock agency would
love it, I don't have enough digital power to do
it.

(Herb once said I didn't know enough to ask the
right questions, and I have
to confess I bristled at that but he was
undoubtedly right.)

The agency gave me the correct info, they just
didn't know that my equipment
was not strong enough to handle the requirements -
and I really can't afford to
get into it full blast.

The rejection rate has gone way up for those
photogs in the agency who have tried
to do the scanning and clean-up themselves.

Black and white photography for them is dead.  (at
least my prints are in a safe place :) )
Clients who want black and white just change it
from color.

And then there are my eyes, which have a very hard
time recognizing "razor sharp" and
noticing the noise.

The one thing I did do that she found
"interesting" was using the flatbed as a camera -
for tight close-ups of natural objects - but there
was too much noise in what I sent her,
and I'm really not into spending a lot of time
working on stuff like that.

I was very grateful for the time she took to
explain a lot to me, but a bit discouraged
about my nature stock at this point.

annsan