The question, as I understand it, is not whether a photographer has to or
should process their own film and make their own prints, but whether one
should LEARN the processes involved. Once one understands how the film and
the developer and the exposure, and the different aspects of printing
interrelate, one then understands with greater, if not absolute, certainty,
how the previsualized final result will be, or if it's even possible under
the circumstances at the time the exposure is made.

While many (B&W) photogs of note will trust their film to a lab, and their
prints to a good darkroom technician, that's usually a relationship that's
developed over time, with all parties knowing enough about what is
possible, and what the other is capable of doing. You can rest assure that
Salgado has his gear calibrated, that his lab guy knows what he likes, and
that their relationship is a close one, even over great distances.

However, the average amateur photographer does not get so deep into the
details. S/he points, s/he shoots, and then passes the film off to the lab.
The lab knows nothing other than the photog says to process normally, or
push one stop, or pull one stop, but in truth there's no calibration
between the photographer's exposure and negs and what the lab chooses as
processing time and technique.

I've no truck with those who have a lab process their film or prints, nor
do I perceive one who uses that approach as any less (or more) of a
photographer than one who does their own processing. Nonetheless, I firmly
believe that KNOWING what's involved in processing film and making prints
(and there's a lot more to it than just simple time/temp) will allow the
photographer, or the photographer and lab techs, to obtain better results.

Frank, I've never seen your prints, just the poor quality images of (what
you often describe as) poor quality scans that appear on my computer
screen. I have no idea if the quality of your prints is good, excellent, or
substandard. I also believe that, for the most part, the people on this
list - and most people in general - and there are exceptions - wouldn't
know a good quality B&W print if it bit 'em on the ass. That's in part
because few here have ever made an exhibition quality print, and quite a
few have never even seen one (Now's the time that a bunch of people jump in
and dismiss my comments because THEY have seen such prints).

The bottom line is this: the more you know the better your results,
regardless of who develops the film or who makes the print. If the
photographer doesn't understand the subtleties of exposure and development
from a real world, hands-on perspective, and exposes the film with an
understanding of what s/he wants to see as a result, knowing that the
result is possible, then in more cases than not, the result will, at best,
approximate the photographer's vision. Maybe for you, and for some others,
close enough is good enough. But for others, good enough is not good enough.

You ask "how often a musical piece is not performed by the composer?"
That's something of a red herring of a question. A better question might
be, "how often does a musical piece that is not performed by the composer
reflect what the composer intended?" Maybe the result would be better to
some ears, maybe not, but it would certainly be different than the original
intent. Carrying further with that analogy, how wonderful it would be to
hear the work of Mozart played and performed as he meant it to be, for only
then would one have a point of reference and comparison to subsequent
interpretations.

And while you, and others, may send a print back to the lab for numerous
corrections, it's quite possible that, because you have little
understanding of the technical knowledge that goes along with KNOWING how
to develop and print, and knowing the potentials and limitations of
different developer/film combinations, you will never get exactly the
results you want, just an approximation. This is not to say that anyone who
learns the basics of developing and printing will fully understand the
potentials and possibilities. That, IMNSHO, takes time and experience.

Do you really think that photogs like Erwitt, Salgado, Nachtway, Lange, and
others, NEVER processed their own film and made their own prints? Of course
they did. It's just that as they became busier, as they travelled further
afield, it became less practical for them to do so. But don't for a minute
think that these photographers just snapped the pic and handed off their
film for processing and printing, never having learned what is involved and
having done the work themselves at some point.

It's your vision and your creativity ... if you're happy with the results,
then that's fine. But allow me to ask this question: if you had a better
understanding of the process, is it possible that your results may be
closer to your vision? Might the results be technically superior to what
you're getting now? Would you perhaps know better if your lab guy is doing
excellent work or just putting out mediocr results (BTW, these questions
are directed to more of a "generic"you", not specifically a Theraultion you
<g>)

Shel (who, having read this thread in the archives, just had to jump in)

> On 23/8/04, Paul McEvoy asked:

> >Is there a reason that I've read in any number of
> > places that in order to be
> >a good photographer you need to learn how to
> develop b+w film?

Then Frank rambled:
No doubt both developing negs and printing them up are
both rewarding.

However, the question was whether a good photographer
needs to learn how it's done.

I'm going to break with orthodoxy, and say "no, of
course not".

Photography is pointing a camera and pushing the
shutter release (or otherwise exposing the film).
Everything after that is processing. The two need not
meet.

When I take a photograph, I more or less have an idea
of how the final print will look. If I have a
developer that yields results that I'm satisfied with,
would it make me a better photographer if I did my own
lab work that was no better than equal to what I can
pay to have done? If so, I'd like someone to explain
it to me.

Now, I'm not for a minute saying that ~for some~ it's
not an integral part of their creative process. I
know that if one so chooses, a great deal of
manipulating and massaging can be done to change or
alter a print for the better. I'm not saying for a
moment that it may be ~more rewarding~ to take the
process from loading the film in the camera all the
way to the final print. But, finding satisfaction
isn't the same as making one better at the first part
of the process (ie: exposing the film).

If you haven't guessed, I don't do my own developing.
Tried it many years ago a few times, and it just
didn't turn my crank. I like to take pictures and
have someone else do the "dirty work". Luckily, the
guy who does my processing and printing loves doing
darkroom work, so it's all good. I guess that's why
he does it for a living.

As I was thinking of what I was going to put into this
post, I was reminded of Ansel Adam's (who was a
classicly trained pianist, IIRC) famous quote, "the
negative is the score, the print is the performance".
At first I thought, "now how am I going to refute that
one?" Then I realized that the analogy is actually in
accord with my thought:

How often is the best known version of a musical piece
~not~ performed by its composer? Composing a musical
piece is not at all the same as performing it.
Especially in the days before the singer/songwriter,
was Cole Porter, for instance, any less a songwriter
or composer because he didn't perform his own songs?

Or, are the players in a symphony orchestra any less
performers because they may know very little of the
theory of composing and can't compose themselves?

I know I've been long-winded here, but it's always
bothered me just a teeny bit that there's this
suggestion that darkroom skills are required to make a
"complete photographer".

Besides, HCB didn't develop his own. Neither does
Selgado.