I'd agree with you on that.  My parents just have their digital images printed
directly from the memory card.  They don't make a copy on the PC (I'm trying to
encourage them to do that).  I'm not sure if they use DPOF or the image choosing
machines in the photo processors shop.

On the digital vs film is simplet I don't think there's much in it.  People
enjoy doing the review process as they get to look at their pics, so even if it
seems like an additional step it is actually a welcome additional step.  It
saves fiddling with loading film, and actually having a film loaded (happened a
few times to one of my in-laws).