Hi,

Saturday, August 28, 2004, 2:51:08 AM, Paul wrote:

> I was in London during a hurricane that hit with considerable force.
> The weather bureau failed to post any kind of warning. I guess the
> storm gained strength right before it came out of the Atlantic. I think
> it was 1987. I was in a room on about the 20th floor of a hotel. i
[...]

That was the 'Great Storm' of October 1987. An embarrassing failure of
our Meteorological Office. Our best-loved and most famous weatherman
of recent years, one Michael Fish, said just before the storm broke
"Apparently a woman phoned the Met Office earlier today to say she’d
heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well, if you’re watching don’t
worry, there isn’t. It is going to be pretty windy though".

The most upsetting aspect of it for me was the destruction it caused
in Kew Gardens. They have recovered now though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/paintingtheweather/csv/painting/distant.shtml

--
Cheers,
 Bob