> >As has already been pointed out, printing with wet inks (the technology
> >basis for home inkjet printers) is limited by the paper; ink spreads and
> >merges before it dries.  Even the 200-300 dpi figure above is generous
> >when it comes to positioning acuracy (wet paper stretches significantly).
> >
> >A high clay content glossy photo paper is as resistant to ink spread
> >as most things, although plastic film will do a little better.  But
> >you also run into the problem of adjacent droplets merging together
> >before they have had time to dry, which constrains the final figure.
> >

> Mightn't that reduce the "pixelation" effect, i.e. produce an effect
> somewhat similar to pixel interpolation?

You don't see pixelation effects on 600dpi (or even 300dpi) printing.
Most artifacts like that are caused by upsizing from lower-resolution
data, and can be pretty much avoided by smarter upsizing software.

> But how about real photo paper, i.e. the variant(s) used by labs and/or
> traditional enlargers rather than the inkjet version?

They don't print with wet inks, so there's no comparable problem.

> Also, would laser printers give better results because the process (as I
> understand it) is a lot "drier"?

They don't have the problems caused by ink spreading.  But, in turn,
they don't get the benefit of inkdrop merging, either, so they often
have a smaller number of discrete colour values at any given pixel
(and it's much harder to get a uniform intensity ramp with dry toner).