On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:03:16 +0100, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
, not "lost" ones. Not so?

> well, technically I suppose you're right - they're not really lost.
> But very, very few people are aware of when they're walking above one
> of them, or even that there's one there at all.
>
> There's also at least one 'lost' canal - the New River, an aquaduct
> which was built in the early 17th century to bring drinking water to
> London from a spring in Hertfordshire (one of the counties to the
> immediate north of London). It's still flowing, and supplying us with
> some of our drinking water.

All this talk of lost subterranean waterways reminds me of moles,
those who live underground, especially in abandonned subway tunnels.

Rumour has it that there are many miles of uncharted abandonned subway
tunnels in New York, much of which is inhabited by "moles" who are
said to have their own vicious society down there.  Who knows how much
of it is urban legend, but there does seem to be at least a seed of
truth to the myths.

All of which reminds me of one of my favourite photos by Eugene Richards:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CDocZ_MAG.aspx?Stat=DocThumb_DocZoom&o=&DT=ALB&E=2K7O3R3G9ZPA&Pass=&Total=18&Pic=6&SubE=2K7O3R3OE4C1

See, now we're back to photography again!!  <vbg>

cheers,
frank
--
"It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it
as a hobby." -Eliott Erwitt