-----Original Message-----
From: Shel Belinkoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 9:39 AM

Thanks for that tip, Frank.

I didn't mean to poke fun at your focusing skills, but it was such a fine
opportunity I couldn't pass it up.  I'm sure you'll "get even" at some
point <LOL>.  And I'm sure someone'll jump in and suggest ways to manually
focus AF lenses, too.

But my jab also had a somewhat more serious side, that being the use of OOF
areas in making photographs.  While I piggybacked my sarcastic comment onto
your work, I've noticed a decided lack of people shooting at wider
apertures here.  Perhaps it's because most people are making nature shots
or macros, but even with the photos of people lots of depth of field is
evident.  maybe that's because of DSLR cameras and the smaller digital
sensor dimensions, but it may also be the result of slower zooms that are
so frequently used along with higher speed films or the higher minimum
speeds that are part of the Pentax DSLR concept.  Whatever happened to
shooting @ f1.4, or f2.0 or 2.8?  Oh, wait, many of the new lenses don't
seem to have those apertures.  Those are wonderful apertures for portraits,
and even for "street" fotographie to soften the backgrounds.

BTW, I like the Erwitt tag line in your sig ....

Shel

> From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:10:10 -0700, Shel Belinkoff
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Frank would LOVE a lens that was designed for "pleasing out-of-focus
areas"