Shel wrote:

> Are we about to embark on another two year rumor parade?  What's the
> "Limited camera"?

I believe the Limited camera is the MZ-1 (I could be wrong of course). Firstly , there
will be an MZ-1 (at least one is planned); It's pretty obvious.
The MZ-S is, as I understand it, a spin-off of the digital "MZ-D". This may seem like
a film version of a digital camera but its more complicated than that. What I believe
happened (and is happening) is that Pentax decided to make a digital slr based on
their modular upper end camera platform then in progress. Developing of the digital
version was probably hurried due to the increase in digital camera sales. This has
most likely messed up things somewhat and paved the way for the MZ-S.

The Pentax upper level camera platform is likely designed around the same philosophy
as the MZ-series; that is a highly modular and flexible camera platform where several
models can share all vital internal parts but still come through as very different
cameras. Eg. they share shutter which can be had in 1/6000s max or a high strung
version with 1/8000s; Film transport is obviously modular since the "MZ-D" does
without it; circuitry board is probably the same on all incarnations - different
features set can be activated - different interfaces can be adopted; body is diecast
and its easy to make a totally different body for different interpretations of the
platform.  The system is probably designed for flexible production and can probably
sustain low production volumes and niche models.

Because all K-mount Pentax users are potential customers for a K-mount digital slr,
its likely that Pentax choose a camera with an interface that fuses the philosophy
between all the older K-mount slr's in order to try to appeal to as many Pentax users
as possible; the MZ-D(S) is fundamentally a cross between an MZ-3 and a Z-1p. Somebody
at some point decided that the fusion between new and old Pentax values wasn't just
something for a digital slr but also a fine idea for a film based camera - the MZ-S.
It was most likely also a means to fill the hole after the Z-1p and the LX quickly.
Its also very likely a meeting point (and a bridge product) between the extremes of
Pentax future line-up as well. Hence the MZ-1 - the conservative and small pro grade
camera. Its quite obvious that such an MZ-1 won't have 5fps motordrive etc. simply
because the MZ-name signify small size. Also, its obvious that the MZ-1 won't be MZ-S
like. So its most likely conservative. Whats more, those who will stay with film the
longest are probably the traditionalists; hence, the MZ-1.
For those who want 5fps etc. the platform will be used for a larger camera that is
possibly named something with the letter "S" (S-1?; hence MZ-S - the meeting point
between MZ-series and S (series?)). This camera will be feature laden and most likely
be the conceptual Z-1p sucessor (not direct sucessor; as it will cost way more) and
adopt Z-1 style interface. The MZ-S will be a perfect back-up camera for this model.

I believe what we're seing here is quite oposite philosophy than behind the LX. The LX
was time consuming and expensive to make but gave the user all kinds of LX system
accesories to custom their camera. What we may see now is more customisation directly
from the factory which is probably cheaper. Its niche marketing at work. Anyway, both
the Limited lenses and the MZ-S shown that Pentax thinks niche and that their product
are more precisely targeted than ever.

This is of course pure speculation and most likely total nonsense but is still based
on (some) facts and also consistent with the reliable part of the rumor mill, but
don't bet on it. Buy an MZ-S. Much probably depend on the way its received.

[Its uncler whether Pentax will choose to use the upper level platform for an
MZ-{number} camera. I believe its likley. They could though, let the MZ-1 be the
upgraded MZ-3. That is, another plastic MZ style camera. Anyway, there will be an MZ
camera above the MZ-3 within a year (maybe this year). It will be interesting to see
wether this will be the MZ-4, 2 or 1.]

Pål